Getting started with video editing
Below you can see a recording of the Livestream which was originally broadcast on 29th May 2020
1) Introducing Openshot
Openshot is an award winning free & Open Source video editor that works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Unlimited Tracks - Add as many layers as you need for watermarks, background videos, audio tracks, and more.
- Video Effects - Using the video effects engine, remove the background from your video, invert the colours, adjust brightness, and more.
- Audio Waveforms - Visualise your audio files as wave-forms, and even output the wave-forms as part of your video.
- Title Editor - Adding titles to your videos using templates, or make your own.
- 3D Animations - Render 3D animated titles and effects, such as snow, lens flares, or flying text.
- Slow Motion & Time Effects - Control the power of time, reversing, slowing down, and speeding up video. Use a preset or animate the playback speed and direction.
- Edit Video - Drag and drop video, audio, or images from your file manager into OpenShot.
2) Introducing Hitfilm Express
"HitFilm Express is a free video editing software with professional-grade VFX tools and everything you need to make awesome content, films or gaming videos. Perfect for beginners, film students, gamers, YouTubers, or any creative without a budget."https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-express
3) Adding Sound Effects & Music
If you want to add more sounds and music to your podcast then you can download royalty free clips and sound files from these websites:
- Flashkit - Free Music Loops.
- Free Music Archive - Inspired by the ideas and ethos behind Creative Commons licensing, the tracks on the FMA are offered for whatever use you want.
- Freeplay Music - A great site with hundreds of free to use sound effects & music clips.
- FreeSFX - A uk based side where you can download lots of free sound effects.
- Sound Bible - They bill themselves as an "Encyclopaedia of Sounds".
- Sound Gator - You need to sign up to this service to download the free sound effects it offers.
- Wiki Media Sound Page - A huge searchable repository of free sound effects and music.
- World Hip Hop Beats - Offers a selection of free samples which can be used to make music
The purpose of the live-stream and these notes is not to tell you which video editing tool is best for you, but rather make you aware of what is possible and to signpost you toward a free tools that you can experiment with right away.
After taking a look at the tools showcased here, you may wish to cast an eye over some alternatives and then pick one that best meets your needs: